Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package. Windows 2008 R2

Windows 2008 R2 is reporting NTFS file system corruption that requires a chkdsk.
I schedule a disk check and reboot, but it fails with this error

Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.
Use system restore feature from the control panel to restore the system to a point prior to the recent software package installation.
An unspecified error occurred (766f6C756d652e63 3f1).



I suspect the antivirus software was denying disk access, but I did not want to uninstall anything.
The safest thing to do with minimal changes seemed to run chkdsk from the Windows 2008 R2 DVD, so I boot from it, start a command prompt and run

chkdsk /f d:





chkdsk runs for a while and repairs some stuff. I reboot back into windows, the drive is OK and the file system errors are gone.

1 comment: